Men’s hockey suffers overtime loss to Concordia

Photo by Haley Staffon
Photo by Haley Staffon

MENDOTA HEIGHTS, Minn. – The St. Thomas men's hockey team suffered a 5-4 overtime loss to Concordia College on Friday night at St. Thomas Ice Arena.  The Cobbers converted on 3-of-3 power play chances to capture the win. 

With the loss, the Tommies drop to 10-6-4 overall and 8-2-1 in the MIAC, while Concordia improves to 12-7-1 on the year and 6-4-1 in league play.

In a game that featured a combined nine goals, the two teams virtually traded goals the entire night.  The Tommies opened the game's scoring just over seven and a half minutes into the contest when Michael Dockry scored on the power play with assists from Thomas Williams and Tanner Barnes.

The Cobbers answered four minutes later when Dalton Mills tied the game up at the 11:33 mark.  The goal sent the two teams to the first intermission tied 1-1.

The Tommies came out to grab the lead once again early in the second period.  Broydon Stufko put the Purple on top 2-1 with his third goal of the year, but another quick answer for the Cobbers came less than three minutes later.  Jon Grebosky connected on Concordia's first power play of the evening to tie the game once again. 

With less than a minute remaining in the second, Johnny Panvica scored with a Williams assist to give the Tommies a 3-2 lead, and it appeared UST would head to the second intermission with a lead and the momentum, but the Cobbers answered once again. 

Just eight seconds after Alex Trapp took a two-minute slashing penalty, Concordia connected on their second opportunity with a man advantage.  Grebosky struck again with 23 seconds remaining in the second period to tie the game headed to the third.

In the final frame, it was Concordia's turn to take the lead.  Mario Bianchi scored just 19 seconds into the third to give the Cobbers a 4-3 lead and held the momentum after two goals coming within 42 seconds of game time. 

But the Tommies answered the call four minutes later.  Brian LeBlanc found himself along just above the slot and put home his third of the year to tie the game and send it to overtime. 

In the extra period, another penalty doomed the Tommies, as Zach Doerring was alone in front of the net, and did not let it go to waste, scoring 3:45 into overtime to take the win.

For the game, the Tommies held a 40-30 shot advantage, but a 3-for-3 mark on the power play for the Cobbers, compared to 1-for-4 rate for St. Thomas proved to be the difference in the loss.

In net, Ben Myers suffered the loss after making 25 saves for the Tommies.  Sam Nelson collected the win for the Cobbers in a 36-save outing.

The two teams will be back in action again tomorrow afternoon when they square off at 3:00 pm at St. Thomas Ice Arena.